It’s time to vote on decorative street lights. Fill out your response and submit it by November 11.
We’ve got 214 out of 271 needed “Yes” votes.
The Bellevue Decorative Street Light Committee survey from this June showed 90% of Bellevue respondents support a decorative street light upgrade as part of the Bellevue & Virginia Park 2018/2019 Neighbourhood Renewal Program.
Given the overwhelmingly positive response received, the committee submitted its recommendation to the City on June 29. Updated pricing showed fluted poles at half the cost ($0.85/m/yr) of the cost listed in the City’s Handbook for octagonal poles ($1.68/m/yr), which were originally recommended. Following many respondents’ stated preference for the fluted poles, the committee instructed the City to proceed with an Expression of Interest (EOI) for the fluted poles and Heritage Arms.
Now, with your approval, Bellevue can get more attractive poles for much less (only $14/yr for a typical 50’ lot). If the initiative is successful, the City will also add decorative street blades at no additional cost.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO NOW:
- Complete and submit the EOI as soon as possible, no later than November 11, 2017. The Bellevue Committee will begin going door-to-door in late September to follow-up with those who have not yet responded.
- Drop it off at the Eastglen Pool admissions desk (11410 68 Street)
- Scan and email it to BellevueStLights@gmail.com
- Call the committee to come collect it from you.
- Check the “yes” box on the EOI if you want decorative poles: 50% + 1, or at least 280 Bellevue property owners must respond positively for this initiative to succeed. If you do not submit your EOI, it will count as a “no” vote.
- Talk to your neighbours to remind them to vote and to promote support.
- Contact the committee if you did not receive, or have misplaced, your EOI.
- Contact the committee to volunteer to help get EOIs completed. Communities who have not gone door-to-door have failed in getting enough votes for decorative lights.
If Bellevue homeowners do not vote “yes,” Bellevue may be left with the less attractive galvanized steel poles between Virginia Park and Highlands communities, who are likely to be successful with implementing decorative street lights.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Phone: Joe Hewko 780-476-6378 / Jeannette Gysbers 780-441-9947