Four times in the last 5 years, the City of Edmonton has threatened to close Eastglen Leisure Centre. The first happened in 2015, then again in 2018, and again in 2019.
It happened again during the pandemic in December 2020 AND WE WON! For now…
The City of Edmonton will not place a moratorium on keeping Eastglen Leisure Centre open for a set period of time. This means the closing of this important community resource is an ongoing issue that can appear in ANY future budget.
All the history and resources we’ve been collecting over the years are listed below. And the best news is we are not alone.
Allies of Eastglen Leisure Centre
Bellevue is working with Oliver and Queen Alexandria Community Leagues to help keep ALL of Edmonton’s Public Pools open. Big thanks to Highlands Community League and Joe Hewko’s team (representing Eastglen Pool) for all of their support.
Questions? Email email@example.com
What Can You Do When It Happens Again?
If you are concerned about the City closing Eastglen pool, there are several things you can do:
- Send an email or letter to ALL council members – especially Ward 7 Councillor Tony Caterina – to tell them why Eastglen should not be closed. We recommend sending your message to all City Councillors.
City Council Contact List
- Sign up to speak to City Council during a public hearing.
— Here’s how to register to speak. City Clerk Frequently Asked Questions
What can you talk about at the meeting and in your message to City Councillors?
NOTE: If you are contacting City Council or wish to speak in public, please be courteous and represent the community well, but don’t be afraid to express your passion and support for Eastglen Leisure Centre.
Key talking points:
City Counsellors value the health of our citizens and communities. There are also important long-term strategies set by the City of Edmonton that would by count-intuitive to closing ANY PUBLIC LEISURE CENTRE.
Explain to your city councillor why you think closing these facilities works in complete opposition to the city’s long term vision for our communities.
TALKING POINT #1: Health Benefits
- Why do you use the Eastglen Pool? The Eastglen pool offers health benefits unavailable to citizens if a closure occurred. Some examples are Saltwater Therapeutic Swimming, a sense of community for mental well being for patrons, with several examples of patrons who will require expensive knee surgery or other medical intervention if they are unable to access the facility for their health needs.
- The relatively low cost to maintain the facility falls far below the cost of negative health implications that would burden both the City and Province if the community becomes neglected and the facility closes.
TALKING POINT #2: Edmonton’s Walkability Strategy
- The City has a long-term strategy to make Edmonton more walkable, including having amenities and work available within a 15-minute walk from your home. (https://www.edmonton.ca/transportation/PDF/WalkabilityStrategy200909.pdf – pg 54)
Learn about Eastglen Leisure Centre and the other public facilities being closed:
- READ THE JOINT STATEMENT between Oliver, Bellevue and Queen Alexandria Community Leagues.
- READ THE MEDIA RELEASE on behalf of Oliver, Bellevue and Queen Alexandria Community Leagues.
- WATCH VIDEO. November 26th conversation featuring City Councillor Tony Caterina, Janis Erwin (MLA for Edmonton-Highlands-Norwood) and Joe Hewko (advocate for Eastglen Leisure Centre)
- 3 Edmonton community leagues join forces to save their swimming pools (Global News)
- Three pools, two arenas on the chopping block as City of Edmonton recommends 2021 tax freeze (Edmonton Journal)
- Edmonton’s smaller rec centres could be sold, council hears (CBC News)
- The 2019-2022 Capital Budget (p. 50), slated Eastglen Leisure Centre for renewal.
- The Eastglen Leisure Centre Master Plan was developed through working closely with the community and it contains options for upgrading and renewing the facility.
- Eastglen Program — FINAL REPORT (2017). This extensive 83-page document includes everything you ever wanted to know about the future of Eastglen Leisure Centre.
CITY COUNCIL 2017-21
Tony Caterina (Ward 7) firstname.lastname@example.org
Mayor Don Iveson email@example.com
Additional Councillors you can add to your email:
|Ward 1 |
|Ward 2 |
|Ward 6 |